Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Rusty Treasure Chest

A couple of weeks ago, I discovered my new favourite place, a local scrapbooking store called Laine's Papeterie. What caught my attention was this rusty looking treasure chest that was on display. I was subsequently told that there was gonna be a class held to create this little treasure. Overjoyed!

When I say rust, I meant those oxidized bronze kinda "rust". Not the reddish, dirty kinda rust. Something like that.


So here's what I completed in class.

A close up pic. Pretty realistic rusting eh? :)

Since Sharon (the instructor) was kind enough to share with us her technique. I'll spread the love! :) Here's how.

To create the rusty effect:

1. First, ink chipboard or cardstock with distress ink.
I used Tim Holtz Walnut Stain Distress Ink.

2.
Then use a stamp with busy designs and stamp randomly on the chipboard/cardstock with embossing ink/glue.

3.
Emboss with a greenish embossing powder.
I used the Aqua ZING! Embossing Powder by American Crafts.

4.
Rub Timbre Brown Staz On Ink over the embossed chipboard/cardstock.

TADAH!

I'm a happy girl :D

Oh wells... I was telling da hubby about my "new" hobby when I got home from class, when it dawned upon me that it isn't exactly a newly discovered hobby. But in fact, it's just... ART. Something that was once a big part of me, but was buried and overwhelmed by work and the mundane. I graduated from an Art College, but haven't been in touch with anything artsy fartsy for the past 3 years cos I'm working in the PR field now. The lack of artsy stuff in my life is slowly devouring my soul. I'm glad that I'm rediscovering art, and rediscovering myself in the process :)

No comments:

Post a Comment